- Apr 9 - KBE Job Opportunity
- Mar 15 - FNSSP supports Tatsikiisaapo'p Photo Journal Project
- Oct 30 - SCS and KAA Welcome Visiting Author Dr. Lyle Weis
- Oct 29 - Elementary Teachers gain skills in modeling writing
- Sep 6 - WHAT IS RESPONSE TO INTERVENTION (RTI)
- Sep 6 - Welcome Back all Returning and New Students
KBE Policy Committee Reviewing and Updating Policies
KAINAI BOARD POLICIES NEED TO BE KNOWN BY EVERYONE
- Leo Fox
It is important not only for the public to be aware of the contents of the newly-reviewed Kainai Board of Education Policy Manual, but it is especially important for employees who are governed by these policies to be aware of them as they appear in the manual. By SY 2012-13, the review will be completed and should be immediately available to the public.
New employees must be aware, for example, of the length of their probation periods. Teachers have one year to prove they have good to excellent teaching skills. Half this period (six months) is the probation period for new educational-assistants. Their work at the end of their probation period will be assessed by their supervisor (usually the principal). This assessment will be based on their work performance, attitude, attendance, adherence to Board policies and regulations, etc.
The Employee Code of Ethics is Policy 300.10 and begins with the line “All staff must leave personal and family problems outside the school or K.B.E. facility.” This policy provides the raison d’etre of teaching and is one of the most important of all the policies.
The following are a short list of others parts of the policy manual.
Did you know that...?
- The Kainai Alternate Academy is the only school not represented on the Board of Education through a Parent Advisory Committee?
- The Board Members and employees must avoid making decisions or taking action which may directly benefit themselves or a family member or close acquaintance?
- PAC members should hold their monthly meetings at their local school and ensure that such meetings are open to parents and the public?
- Eight members make up the Kainai Board of Education: two council members appointed by Chief and council, two members elected at large from the membership (elected regardless of whether they have children attending Kainai Board of Education operated schools or off-reserve provincial schools), four Parent Advisory Committee chairpersons (one from each school: Saipoyi, Aahsaopi, Tatsikiisaapo’p and Kainai High School)?
- In the case of a student being injured and the injury appears more serious, the parents or guardians should be phoned, and they should direct the school as to what action they deem appropriate?
- That Blood Reserve Bus Co-op does not run buses at -31ºC. Students can attend school on their own otherwise they are excused. Parents should also pick up their children after school.
- That it is the responsibility of any employee who is chemically dependent or who abuses drugs or alcohol to seek early intervention, assistance, and treatment?
Aomo’tapao’kaaso’p aitotaaoki iikoyii. In times of crisis, many employees panic because this stressful incident does not happen everyday and they find it hard to cope with the situation. In at least one aspect i.e. work-related matters, if they have knowledge of K.B.E. policy, their stress level should be lower. This is another reason for becoming familiar and knowledgeable with the Kainai Board of Education Policy Manual.